Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The rain that falls...

The world has been scrubbed clean today. Everything green stands out in defiance to the blanket of gray-dominated sky.

There is still the after-math to deal with - over-flowing potholes, flooded lanes, rain-sodden clothes that couldn't be saved in time, the occasional accidental electrocution, tell-tale mud splatters, spells of darkness, televisions blanking out, roofs that cave in, doors that can't keep the water out, mosquito colonies reinstating their supreme power, spineless umbrellas, truant school-kids sailing their ill-fated paper boats while determinedly dodging their over-worked mothers' repeated calls to come in...

It's poignant somehow, this ritual of rain. The way it falls, regardless of who or what it might be drenching, as oblivious to the spurts of joie de vivre as to the desecration of things, places, people...

It makes us fall in love, it makes us long for comfort in cocoa, it turns us into children again, it erodes our sense of permanence...

And it always, always makes me yearn... for what, I don't yet know.

3 comments:

  1. Hey.. I read your interview in Ritz, and it far exceeded my expectations of you-as-person, cautiously I have only listened to your piano magic, and have Believed in you-as-person, and wanted to be there next to your fingers as they travel over the keyboard, but here you are, gloriously revealing yourself as a Poet as well!.. Who could reach closer to my heart? The magazine piece gave your blog address, and I said to myself well let's check this out, and what do I find! Lovely lovely ruminations on Rain! Andrea honey, you are BLESSED! And "20 years from now" you will be very much alive, hey, and a how you would have grown! I wish I had left remaining with me my lost gift of poetry, I would write a word or two about you. May I please please allow myself the indulgence of seeing you as the daughter I never had.. and of being proud of you..
    Love,
    Upstairs Uncle

    ReplyDelete
  2. vasanth-hi...first of all i want 2 say abt ur acting... really it was very amazing in the movie aayirathil oruvan...simply i thought tat andrea's jus a singer and actor after seeing ur profile only i came 2 know tat u r a writer...u r simply great...anyway all the best 4 ur upcoming movies...

    ReplyDelete