Saturday, September 26, 2009

Of kollu and kids that refuse to grow up

The past week has been one of 'kollus' and not much else. Not that I'm complaining. I, like the rest of the population, enjoy an evening of dressing up, cooing at doll displays and partaking of some yum traditional food.

In fact, it's so much fun, I wonder that we don't do it more often. As little girls, we hosted tea parties, clinking our empty, down-sized cups and saucers, and toasting to the long lives of our lifeless playmates and imaginary friends. And then of course, adulthood comes and bites us in the ass and life just stops being as enjoyable.

I read somewhere that adults should learn to curtail the 'child' within, or the world would be over-populated with obstinate, tantrum-throwing individuals, all wanting their own way, and not being able to hide behind the excuse of being an adorable little thing. And I thought to myself, this article has come a bit late. Most of the 'privileged' adults already behave in exactly that fashion. They have it all- looks, money, and the gift of being able to charm the whole world. It's almost as if they're mocking all the people who try to live good and honest and never seem to reap the benefits of either.

As for me, I don't know if it's possible to strike a balance between being as innocent as a child while having the good judgement and maturity of an adult. I've never come across anyone who's managed to pull it off. And let's face it, more often than not, we think typical adults are BORING. We'd rather hang out with impetuous, impulsive people who're wrong about things more often than they're right.

Looking back, I see that I've made a rather grand deviation from kollu. But it's a sunday morning, and I demand to be excused for any deviations or allegations I may have made in the course of this blog post. Besides, my concentration has all but evaporated and all I can think about is the delectable dosa I had last night at the kollu...ummm, 4 dosas actually. Blame it on the appetite of the child within!

No comments:

Post a Comment