Friday, May 1, 2009

Where have all the dreamers gone?

As I write this, John Lennon's Imagine plays in the next room. Immediately, I know what I'm going to be writing about.

No, it's nothing to do with world peace. I'll save that for when I'm a Miss.Universe finalist. It's about that wonderful line- they say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one...

Is it really true that each of us has a bit of 'the dreamer' locked up inside? I can vouch for myself, and Sir Lennon obviously thought he had company. But really, where have all the dreamers gone?

Sometimes, I think of myself as some sort of out-dated commodity. I really do feel out of place in the world the way it is. I've had some 'character-building' experiences, but when I look back, all I've built is a layer of cynical defense. A lot of people I've met seem to have turned out the same way.

Question is-why do we let it happen to ourselves? How do we go from young and hopeful, to slightly older but feeling ancient and tired of the world and its wily ways? And why is it so impossible to give the world, or better yet, to give oneself another chance?

The sad thing is, this sort of metamorphosis seems to be an eventuality of life. So much that, the people who manage to hold onto their inner child are the exceptions rather than the rule.

Makes me wonder, I don't want any child of mine to grow up in a world such as this. I'm only 24, and yet to feel the even the hint of a tick on my maternal clock, but still, I do wonder. And I think, if only every single person thought about the world in terms of their children or loved ones, then maybe, just maybe, it would actually be a better place.

I for one, am not so particular about myself. I tend to think I'm a survivor (though i probably won't discover the proof of that till its too late), but I do look out for others, just as others look out for me. I worry about the world. It may not be a good thing, but its what I do.

And while I don't wish the same fate on everyone else, I do wish that everyone would take some time out of their albeit busy lives, to worry about maybe one person other than themselves.

It might make you want to do something nice, for no reason whatsoever. And that's not such a bad feeling, trust me.

And maybe, just maybe, soon enough, you'll rekindle the dreamer in you.

1 comment:

  1. The child in us often locks itself up since we think that others know what is best for us. So only listen to your heart and set yourself free, grow wings of your dreams and fly away. It's not all that difficult, I do it all the time. So will you one day

    ReplyDelete